Friday, October 21, 2016

Nancy Hughes devotion: Two Faced

Key Scripture:

“His speech is smooth as butter, yet war is in his heart; his words are more soothing than oil, yet they are drawn swords.” Psalm 55:21 (NIV)


Devotion:

For 20 years my husband worked as manager of a propane business in our town. And for most of those 20 years he truly loved his job.

Except the day a man who was unhappy with the price of propane walked into his office, having concluded that somehow my husband was the one who set the propane prices for Missouri. No explanation would satisfy the gentleman who had already made up his mind where to place the blame – and his anger.

For almost a half hour this man accused my husband of everything from pushing up the propane prices to create more profit for the store to writing sales receipts that were altered. His side of the conversation was laced with profanity directed toward the propane business, the secretary at her desk and my husband and they were relieved when he finally decided to leave the store.

I knew none of this until the following Sunday, when we decided to visit a different church in the area. We both heard a “Welcome, welcome to our church, brother,” and turned to see a gentleman smiling as he grabbed my husband’s hand to shake it, slapped his back with the other and commented “It’s good to see you here, brother! God is good! Praise the Lord” and walked on to talk to some other people.

“What a nice Christian man,” I glanced at my husband. He just raised his eyebrows and quietly replied “No. No, he’s not.” Only later did I find out how this man had treated him just days before at his business.

I was stunned. A man who professed to be a Christian, using God’s name in profanity on Thursday and praising His name on Sunday.

In today’s Key Scripture from Psalm 55:21, David completely understood the two faces of man. He writes “His speech is smooth as butter, yet war is in his heart; his words are more soothing than oil, yet they are drawn swords.”

In today’s language, we would say “he says one thing and does the opposite.” I realize that the world does that but a Christian? Is that the kind of example we should be to those around us?

I cannot read this Scripture without applying it to my life. Have I been guilty of saying one thing and turning around and doing or saying the opposite? Have you?

How about complimenting a fellow worker on her outfit and then the minute she walks away, remarking how out-of-style she looks? Or perhaps laughing at inappropriate language in a conversation – language that we wouldn’t think of using OR laughing at with our Christian friends?
Are we the same in church and out of church? With or without Christian friends?
Guard your heart, Christian, so no one can ever accuse you of being two-faced.





My Prayer for Today:

Father, today I pray your words from Psalm 19:14 – that my words and my heart will be pleasing to you no matter where I am. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.


Reflection:

Can you think of a time when your actions or words were completely opposite of your actions or words in church or with Christian friends?


Application:

Journal conversations that you have had for the past week. Do you recognize language or actions that are totally opposite of Christ-like behavior?


Memorize Psalm 19:14. Write the Scripture on a note card and keep it on your desk at work, by your kitchen sink or wherever you will see it most often.


When you are faced with an opportunity to be un-Christ like, remind yourself of Psalm 19:14 and rethink your actions.



Power Verses:

Psalm 55:21 (NIV) “His speech is smooth as butter, yet war is in his heart; his words are more soothing than oil, yet they are drawn swords.”


Psalm 28:3 (NIV) “Do not drag me away with the wicked, with those who do evil, who speak cordially with their neighbors bur harbor malice in their hearts.”


Psalm 19:14 (NIV) “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.”

(More of Nancy Hughes' writing and information about her books can be found at her website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment