Monday, December 19, 2016

Nancy Hughes devotion: My mother's Christmas wish

Key Verse

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16 (NIV)

Devotion

When I was a little girl, the number one question I asked all my family before December 25th was “What do you want for Christmas?” I asked my sisters and my brother, my mother and my father.
It was a huge question for me because my funds were limited to a small allowance each week plus whatever I could dig out from under the sofa cushions.

After my siblings and I eventually all married and moved away, my mother’s answer to that question remained the same year after year.

“I want all my children home,” she would smile. “Nothing more. That would be the best gift for Christmas. It’s my Christmas wish.” No matter how hard I tried to change the way in which I asked that same question, the answer never changed. 

I really didn’t understand why that was the only Christmas gift my mother wanted. Until my children grew up, married and moved away. Until the phone calls began with “Hi Mom. December is going to be here before you know it. What do you want for Christmas?” 

And of course, because I finally realized just what my mother meant, my answer has remained the same year after year. “More than anything, I want all my children home on Christmas.” 

Look at John 3:16, today’s Key Scripture. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Our Heavenly Father desires the same thing for His children: home with Him for eternity. The cost? No looking under sofa cushions for extra change. No hoarding an allowance in order to pay for a gift. 

The price for all His children to be able to come home has been paid in full by Jesus at the cross.
As mothers, we completely understand that having our children home for Christmas is the best gift of all. How much more our Heavenly Father desires that His children will turn to Him and accept the beautiful priceless gift of salvation wrapped up in the mercy, forgiveness and love of Jesus, so they can be home with Him for eternity.

My Prayer for Today

Father, I praise You and thank You for Your beautiful gift of eternal life to all who believe in You. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Reflection Points

Do you find that there are times when you take the gift of salvation and eternal life for granted? If so, why do you think you feel that way?

Application Steps

Journal the different Scriptures that talk about the promise of eternal life with the Lord.

Memorize one of those Scriptures each week and share it with a friend or family member.

Power Verses

John 3:16 (NIV) “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

II Peter 3:9 (NIV) “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”

I Timothy 2:3-4 (NIV) “This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment