Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Jasper County Sheriff warns of telephone computer virus scam

(From the Jasper County Sheriff's Office)

WARNING
Phone Scam


There has been a phone scam going around dealing with computers. The caller states you have a virus and they need you to go to your computer. They will prompt you to turn it on, and type a certain code into the command window (the little white box in the bottom on the left hand side when you click on the start menu).

DO NOT DO THIS!

If you do this they have access to everything in your computer, or they will lock you computer up and ask you to pay money to fix it.

Hang up on the caller. Do not confront them; they will just get extremely rude with you.

2 comments:

  1. They just called me yesterday. I asked them "how did you get my cell phone number?". It wasnt connected to my laptop in any way. They acted like they got it from a computer reading on the laptop. I told them im not that gullible and hung up. They called from a blocked number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They called my mother in law recently, luckily I was there, they said that there was a virus on our Microsoft PC. Working in tech support I tried having some fun. As soon as she said "Microsoft" I said "Oh thank goodness, we use Linux here, so we're safe", but she persisted. She tried to talk me through access task manager to view a process called CSRSS.exe and said this was a virus, it's not, it's a normal and VITAL Windows process. Eventually she got frustrated and hung up on me.

    Everyone, Microsoft, Apple, Linux, Google, Samsung, whatever... these companies WILL NEVER CALL YOU!

    ReplyDelete