Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Joplin High School senior's film about autistic brother winning national, international awards


(From Joplin Schools)

Joplin High School senior Alexandra Carson has wanted to work in film since she was a student at South Middle School, and thanks to her time in the JETHD Joplin Eagles Television studio, she's well on her way! 

Alex's recent documentary film, "My Friend, David," has been named an official selection and/or award winner at more than 20 national and international film festivals. Earlier this fall, Alex headed to New York City where she accepted the Audience Choice Award at the All-American High School Film Festival's Teen Indie Awards.
 
"The classes offered by Mr. Douglas and Mr. Smith have helped me to hone my skills and grow as a filmmaker," said Alex. "Now, I plan to go to college to pursue cinematography, which wouldn't be possible without JetHD and the film classes offered through Franklin Technology Center and Joplin High School."









Alex said she was inspired to create this film by following the age-old adage for creators to write what they know, and that included details of life with her brother, David - a JHS class of 2018 graduate.

"I realized that my experiences with my brother, who has autism, might be of interest to others, and that, though it is something I seldom recognized before creating this film, our story is unique," Alex said. 

"I wanted to examine the differences between the way I view autism and the way society views autism, especially in an age of increasing attention toward neurodiversity and all the misconceptions about those who are not neurotypical. 

"I was alarmed by a general lack of understanding, and I hoped to inspire others to think more deeply about those who are different from themselves, and hopefully realize that foreign or unfamiliar does not equate to bad. Though my understanding of autism on the whole is limited, my understanding of David is extensive, and I feel that we share a connection that is only strengthened by our unique circumstances."

No comments:

Post a Comment