With the 4th of July quickly approaching we would like to remind everyone of the City of Carthage Firework Ordinance.
Sec. 10-3. - Fireworks.
(a) No person, shall shoot, set off, explode or discharge any blank cartridge, torpedo, cane torpedo, firecracker, or any substance containing chlorate of potash and sulphur, or device for exploding or discharging such substances, or any other fireworks. Provided, however, that fireworks displays, to be conducted by persons who make a profession of holding fireworks displays, may be held after having first obtained written permission from the fire chief. Blank cartridges may be discharged within the city limits at any time when used in conjunction with organized athletic events. (b) Persons may sell fireworks in the city limits during the time as authorized by state statute. So long as they comply with all federal, state and local law concerning the sale of fireworks.
(Code 1978, § 240.250; Ord. No. 02-50, § I, 7-9-2002; Ord. No. 08-56, § I, 11-25-2008)
State Law reference— Fireworks, RSMo 320.121.
Sec. 10-4. - Exceptions.
The following shall be exceptions to section 10-3:
(1) December 31st from 5:00 p.m. to January 1st at 1:00 a.m.
(2) June 30th to July 3rd from 9:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. each evening.
(3) July 4th until July 5th from 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 a.m.
(4) July 5th from 9:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m.
(5) Nothing in this section shall allow the discharge of any firework in the municipal park at any time.
(6) The fire chief shall have sole discretion of suspending section 10-4 of the City Code in times of high fire risk or drought.
(Ord. No. 10-14, § I, 6-8-2010)