Monday, January 18, 2016

Nancy Hughes devotion: Peace in the Attack

Key Scripture:

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27 (NIV)

Devotion:

The birthday party for my one year old granddaughter Ava had been a huge success, right down to the helium filled balloons floating around my living room and kitchen. But now the presents had been opened and the cake and ice cream eaten and the guests hugged as they left for the evening.

After cleaning up scraps of wrapping paper and ribbon and cups and plates, I could hardly wait for bed and a peaceful night’s sleep. But it was not to be.

About 1:00 in the morning I rolled over in my bed and sleepily glanced at the doorway of my bedroom. If a heart could stop beating because of fear, mine did!

There in the door way, I saw the shadow of a man moving slowly and silently down the shadowy hallway and into my bedroom! His head seemed to be bobbing up and down with each soundless step as he came closer and closer. I could faintly make out what appeared to be a long knife in his hand!
Two thousands thoughts instantly battled to be heard. “Don’t scream because he may not have seen you yet!” to “Where is a gun when you need one?” to “What can I throw at him?” clamored for attention.

“Turn on the light, you idiot” won the battle and I flipped back the covers, turned on the light and came face to face with the intruder: two helium balloons that had been tied together gliding effortlessly throughout the house as air moved when the furnace came on. And the sword? An oversized tube of bubbles that had been tied to the balloons.

My fear of the unknown plus my vivid imagination had caused me to become extremely frightened over something that was not real.

Has that ever happened to you? Maybe not the attack by the balloon intruder, but have you ever worried about the “what if’s” until you are physically sick? Has fear over what might happen periodically taken over your days and nights? Same here.

That’s why today’s Key Scripture in John 14:27 is so important. Jesus understands more than anyone that Satan loves to float “what if” balloons at us, trying to fill our hearts with worry and fear. And He has the answer: His offer of peace. Peace when the fear of getting old sets in. Peace when the economy is shaky. Peace when our children are not living as they should be.

“What if….” Satan taunts. Don’t be afraid! Trust Jesus to fight for you as you hold on to the peace He has given you as His child.


My Prayer for Today:

Father, too often I get so focused on what might happen that I forget that you have given me peace in every situation. I want more than anything to have that peace in my live, no matter what I am facing. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.




Reflection:

How many of your “what if” worries and fears actually happened after you spent hours and perhaps days or weeks focused on them?


Application:

Draw two balloons in your journal. Label one “worry” and one “fear.” Now write down the worries and fears that you are facing in your life in each balloon.


Pray over each worry and fear and give them to the Lord. Then draw a line through each one and write “peace” above it. Thank the Lord for taking care of each one.


Power Verses:

John 14:27 (NIV) “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”


Exodus 14:14 (NIV) “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”


Matthew 6:27 (NIV) “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

(More of Nancy Hughes writing and information about her books can be found at her blog,)

No comments:

Post a Comment