Monday, October 17, 2016

Joplin woman wins $4 million in Missouri Lottery

(From the Missouri Lottery)

When Kathy Haywood matched one number on a Missouri Lottery “$4,000,000 Payout” Scratchers ticket, she assumed she had won $20 and kept scratching. Boy, was she wrong.

“Something just told me to go buy tickets that day,” said Haywood, 54, who purchased her winning ticket at Kum & Go, 3931 E. Seventh St., in Joplin.

“I scratched it at work and matched number 36. When I came back to scratch the prize and saw the $4 million, I just started screaming. I couldn’t believe it. I thought I was going to have a heart attack,” continued Haywood, who is the Missouri Lottery’s 457th millionaire.

Word quickly got around Haywood’s workplace, which caused her boss to give her the rest of the day off. But that didn’t stop the dedicated worker from coming back later that day to finish her shift, or from coming back the following day.

“I want to keep working so I can get my full retirement benefits. Everyone was so shocked the next day asking me what I was doing back there,” laughed Haywood.

Instead of retiring outright, the new millionaire plans on purchasing a new house for her family, a new vehicle and settle down with her new-found fortune.

$4,000,000 Payout” is a $20 Scratchers ticket that was introduced on Sept. 8, 2015. Haywood claimed one of four $4 million top prizes available in the game. The game currently has more than $50 million in total prizes remaining. An updated list of remaining prize amounts for all Scratchers games can be found here at MOLottery.com.

1 comment: