Thursday, July 28, 2016

Nancy Hughes devotion: Battle of the Wills

Key Scripture:

“Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.” Psalm 143:10 (NIV)


Devotion:

When my children were small, they struggled with decisions all the time. Which cereal to eat, what outfit to wear to school, which television show to watch.

So I made it easy for them: I gave them options. Rice Krispies or Cheerios? The blue shorts and blue and white top or the green outfit? The Smurfs or the Muppets?

There were no other alternatives; I offered two choices and they had to decide.

The fact that they were all three a bit strong-willed did not matter to me. It was my will against theirs. And when they didn’t do what I wanted, I was even more determined to be in control and decide for them. Most of the time it ended in tears or tantrums.

I’m trying to do less of that as an adult. At least in public.

Here’s my point. Isn’t that the same thing that we do with God? We go before Him and we give Him our options as we pray.

“Here are your choices, God. Do I buy the big house on Poplar Street or the big house on the cul-de-sac? Who should I date: the tall good looking boy or the shorter, smarter boy? Which would be better for my backyard – the above ground or in ground pool?”

Read today’s Key Scripture in Psalm 143:10. “Teach me to do your will, for you are my God…” What the Psalmist does not say is “Do my will, God.”

How about us? Too many times my attitude when I pray is one of “Here are MY options, God. So tell me which one You want” instead of sharing from my heart and then asking Him what He has in mind for my life.

There is nothing wrong with sharing your ideas and plans with the Lord. He wants you to do that! The problem comes when we move from sharing to demanding that the Creator of the Universe choose from OUR options.

I believe that as my relationship with Jesus becomes more a “one-on-One” and not a “me here/You there” connection, I will want to follow His direction. But that will not happen until I toss out my desires and wants and replace them with His.

And as I follow His direction, He will begin to shape those very things that I desire most in my life to be what He desires most for my life. My prayers change from my choices for God to His will for me.
I encourage you to go before the Lord without a decision, without an agenda, without your will ahead of His. Ask Him what He wants for your life. Ask Him for direction. Ask for wisdom. And ask for a peace when His answer comes, if it doesn’t conform to the answer that you thought you wanted.
Seek His heart and ask Him to change yours to make you more like Him. Then step back and watch what He does.

His will or yours? The answer will be obvious.


My Prayer for Today:

Father, I come before you asking that you show me your will for my life. I lay all my plans down. Replace them with your plans for me. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.



Reflection:

Have you ever gone before the Lord with your answer to your request and simply asked Him to “rubber stamp” your will? What was the result?


Application:

Journal your prayer requests in a column titled “My Will.” Next journal the title “God’s Will” in the next column. Before you write anything down in the second column, read today’s Power Verses and ask the Lord to show you His will for your life. Write down what He is sharing in your heart. Are they the same or different?


Power Verses:

Psalm 143:10 (NIV) “Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.”


Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”


Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing and information about her books check out her website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment