Friday, July 22, 2016

Nancy Hughes devotion: I've read the book

Key Scripture:

“Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand and I will do all that I please.”
Isaiah 46:9-10 (NIV)


Devotion:

“Come watch a movie with me, Grandma,” my granddaughter pleaded. “It’s a really good one!” She added that last statement to try to entice me to join her, knowing that for me to sit and watch a movie, it truly has to be “a really good one.”

I gave in and joined her on the sofa with a blanket, sodas and popcorn. Before I knew it I was caught up in the action of the characters and the mystery that surrounded them.

One twist after another caught me by surprise, making me jump and Ella giggle.

“That detective is going to bite it,” I commented. “Any minute he’s going to disappear and we won’t know who got him.” Ella disagreed.

“He’ll be okay. He’s a main character.” And she was right.

“That’s the killer!” I yelled. “She has to be the one because she’s hiding the gun!” But once again, Ella shook her head “no.” And once again she was correct.

I glanced at my granddaughter. “Have you seen this movie before because you always seem to know the outcome of every scene and what’s coming next.”

“Nope,” she grinned. I turned to look at her. “Then how do you know that the detective is going to be okay and the hair dresser is not the killer?”

Ella gave me a huge smile. “Because I’ve read the book, Grandma! I already know what’s coming and how it’s going to turn out!”

Now it was my turn to smile. Because, my friends, WE have that same confidence in “what’s coming and how it’s going to turn out” in our lives.

Read today’s Key Scripture in Isaiah 46:9-10. God tells us clearly that He knows all things, beginning to end. And we can too.

We have the Bible. God has allowed us to see what happened in the beginning in
Genesis and He has shown us what will happen in the end in Revelation. We, too, can know the ending if we have read the Book.

I know this world is full of pain and heartache, struggles and failures. There are unanswered questions and unending grief. But please don’t lose hope! Hold tight to the truth of God’s Word!
In the end good wins over evil. The bad guy (Satan) loses, Jesus has the victory, and we will live with Him for eternity.

How do I know that? I’ve read the Book.


My Prayer for Today:

Father, thank you for giving me hope through your Word. Thank you for being in control of all things in my life. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.




Reflection:

Have you ever looked at the back of a book to find out the ending? Have you done that with the Bible? Why or why not?


Application:

Ask a prayer warrior/study friend to partner with you in reading the Bible together weekly and lifting up prayer requests to the Lord.


Write in your journal “I know the One who wrote the Book, beginning to end. He will never let go of me.” Text that message to your prayer warrior when the tough stuff hits, to encourage each other to hold on to God’s Word.


Power Verses:

Isaiah 46:9-10 (NIV) “Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand and I will do all that I please.”


Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) “’For I know the plans I have for you’, declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future’.”


Revelation 22:13 (NIV) “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing and information about her books, check out her website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment