Friday, December 1, 2017

Carl Junction Police Chief pays tribute to Joplin lawyer who died this week

(From Carl Junction Police Chief Delmar Haase)

In 2005 I was hired to be the Police Chief of Carl Junction. I was advised by the staff that the Department was involved in Shop with a Cop and that they usually took 50 children on shopping trips.

I knew of the program from participating when I was with the Joplin Police Department and took on the challenge of increasing those numbers. I wrote a letter and sent it to businesses and people that I had got to know through the years of being a cop. 

Being a cop, we get acquainted with the legal community and I knew most of the attorneys in the area. The legal community has been great and we get a lot of donations from the members. I got a phone call from one particular member who asked several questions about the program. He paid me one of the best compliments I have ever received, when he said "I knew from your reputation that you were doing the right thing."

He asked if we would take the children from the Salvation Army in Joplin, if he paid for them. I assured him that we would be proud to do that. He said that he would include extra to help Carl Junction kids, too. I was shocked that year, when the check was $2,500. Each year since, he would contribute, including $6,000 last year. 

This gentleman never wanted any publicity and very few people knew of his contributions. I'm only writing this today, because I read his obituary.

I want everyone to know what a great guy Jim DeNeen was, I knew from the correspondence that he was in failing health. His obituary is in today's Joplin Globe. He was quite an accomplished attorney and I will miss hearing from him. Thanks, Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment