Saturday, February 27, 2016

Nancy Hughes devotion: Someone is Watching

Key Scripture:

“In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.”
Titus 2:7 (NIV)


Devotion:

The student nurse stuck out her hand and introduced herself. “Hi. I’m Sarah Stephens. I have been assigned to follow you around today. And I’ve got to be honest with you. I’m really nervous!”

I shook her hand. “Don’t be nervous,” I smiled back confidently. “It’s going to be a great day!” But inside my mind was yelling “YOU are nervous? What if I mess up in front of you? What if I give the wrong med? What if I can’t answer your questions? The nervous one here is actually ME!”

As the health services director for our school district, I had the privilege of being a preceptor for nursing students and showing them the duties of a school nurse. But Sarah Stephens was my very first student nurse to come to me for the training.

As she followed me around all day and watched over my shoulder, I found myself being more careful when listening to lungs or looking in ears. And I double-checked the medications I gave more than once, to make extra sure I was correct in each dosage.

Just as I was about to comment negatively about a student I saw multiple times a day with nothing physically wrong, I glanced to see Sarah, listening intently for what I was about to say. And my comment was left unspoken.

All because Sarah was by my side, watching me all day.

Oh how I am convicted by today’s Key Scripture in Titus 2:7. It makes me think, what if. What if Jesus followed me around all day? Would my actions or comments be different?

Would I turn off music I normally listen to? Would what I watch on television or at the movies change? And then there’s language: would I still have the same conversations that I usually have if Jesus was listening intently over my shoulder?

How would I speak to my spouse? My children? The slow cashier in the check out line at the supermarket?

But wait. Jesus DOES follow you and me around every day! The Holy Spirit lives in us and is with us day in and day out. And He hears what we say and He sees what we do.

Some One is watching. May He be pleased by the example of our lives to others.


My Prayer for Today:

Father, forgive me for only trying to be like you when someone is watching me. Guide me as I choose to reflect your character every single day. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.


Reflection:

Have you ever acted differently because someone was watching what you said and did?


Application:

Every morning for one week, ask the Lord to speak to your heart every time you say or do something completely opposite of Titus 2:7.

Throughout the day, place His presence beside you no matter where you are or what you are doing. Confess anything that is not an example of Jesus.


Power Verses:

Titus 2:7 (NIV) “In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.”

John 13:15 (NIV) “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”

Philippians 4:9 (NIV) “Whatever you have learned or received or heart from me, or seen in me – put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”

(More of Nancy Hughes' writing can be found at her website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment