Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Nancy Hughes devotion: Will Anyone Come?

Key Scripture:

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in. I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” Matthew 25:35-36 (NIV)


Devotion:

The thought had gone through my mind several times: “Instead of leaving cookies for my neighbor and hurrying away, I need to take the time to sit and visit with her.” She is absolutely precious and I thoroughly enjoy chatting with her.

But I had been busy with everyday life and just hadn’t stopped by for several weeks. So this time when I took the cookies and she asked if I had time to visit, I stayed.

We talked and laughed and talked some more. Then the subject turned to not being able to sleep at night. “My mind doesn’t stop when I lay down,” I told her. “I am thinking about the next day and everything on my to-do list.”

She nodded. “I know exactly what you mean. I am laying there and I start wondering about things, like do I need to get groceries, what will the weather be tomorrow, will anyone come…” and her voice trailed off as she looked out the window.

Those last three words – “will anyone come” – pierced my heart and immediately convicted me of my failure as a Christian.

In today’s Key Scripture in Matthew 25:35-36, Jesus is speaking with His followers and saying that because they met His needs for nourishment and clothing, showed Him hospitality, looked after Him when He was ill and visited Him in prison, they were blessed by God.

But His followers were confused. They did not remember helping Jesus when He needed clothing or was sick or in prison. They could not help asking “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?” (verses 37-38)

Jesus replied in verse 40 that “whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”

Nowhere in those verses does it read “I was hungry and you gave me cookies and left because you had a meeting.” Or “I was in prison and you waved and said “hi” but you just couldn’t stay because you were busy.”

Their love for the Lord was their reason for taking care of those in need. They wanted to be Jesus to everyone around them.

So what about you and me? I have no doubt that every one of us has at least one neighbor like mine. One who is elderly or physically unable to get out of their home. A man or woman who wonders if anyone even knows they exist.

Look around your neighborhood and ask yourself if there might be someone sitting in a home wondering “will anyone come.”

Let that person who knocks on the door with cookies and time for a visit be the face and words of Jesus – in you.



My Prayer for Today:

Father, forgive me for not looking at my neighbors through your eyes. May I find less time to be busy and more time to be you to each of them. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.


Reflection:

Do you know the names of your neighbors? How many of them would love to have a visit from you?


Application:

Spend a day or evening or weekend making cookies or treats and put your neighbor’s names on each package along with a note. Then call and ask if you could bring over the gift and visit. Be prepared for smiles and perhaps some tears.


Power Verses:

Matthew 25:35-36 (NIV) “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in. I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.”


Galatians 6:10 (NIV) “Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”


Psalms 35:10 (NIV) “My whole being will exclaim, Who is like you, O Lord? You rescue the poor from those too strong for them, the poor and needy from those who rob them.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes writing and information about her books, you can visit her blog at this link.)

No comments:

Post a Comment