Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Nancy Hughes: Jacket with a "J"

(Author Nancy Hughes will be signing copies of her books Saturday 1 to 3 p.m. at the Joplin Public Library.)

Key Scripture:

“. . . for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” Galatians 3:27 (NIV)

Devotion:

When I was in high school, a girl always considered it a huge honor if she got to wear the letterman’s jacket of her boyfriend for a Friday night football game. When she wore that jacket for the game, she was immediately linked to the boy whose name was on the back of the jacket. And that in turn connected her to his “fame” as a football player. She belonged to him.

Yes, I’m sure that concept would be considered totally outdated in today’s society but to us, it was a big deal and an honor. That piece of clothing meant that we belonged.

Today’s Key Scripture speaks about a different type of clothing in Galatians 3:27. It says “. . . for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” And that caused me to think: what if.

What if we wore the clothing of Christ – in other words – Christ Himself every minute of every day of our lives? I know we are supposed to do just that but unfortunately there are times when I seem to be more comfortable wearing the old rags of the world than the clothes that Jesus gives me.
But suppose every morning I chose to be clothed with Jesus.

Would I act differently when dealing with a neighbor who was once again playing his loud music at 3 am? Would he be able to know by our conversation that my “clothing” was made from the sacrifice of Jesus?

How about my words and actions sitting at a ball game when my team is losing? Would everyone know who I belong to or would people around me hear and see someone completely opposite of the Lord?

I don’t need to wear a letterman’s jacket with a big “J” on it for others to know I belong to Jesus. But I do need to remember that as His follower, my wardrobe must change so that I am clothed with Christ for life.


My Prayer for Today:

Father, too often I forget who I belong to and act as though I don’t even know you. Forgive me for not clothing myself with your son every day. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.


Reflection:

Can people around you tell that you are a Christian by what you “wear” every day?

Have you ever considered that what you say and do is a clear reflection of the One you serve?


Application:
Journal the characteristics of Jesus from Colossians 3:12.

With every situation you face, remember that you are clothed with Jesus. Treat people accordingly.



Power Verses:
Galatians 3:27 (NIV) “. . . for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.”

Colossians 3:12 (NIV) “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”

Romans 13:14 (NIV) “Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.”

***
Nancy Hughes' children's book Grandma Has to Go Away will be one of those that will be available for purchase at the Joplin Public Library 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday or it can be purchased at the link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment